Friday 2 December 2016

Comeback(s)

Well folks it finally happened. After months of wondering when I'm returning to golf there is finally an answer. Yep... I bet you weren't expecting this beginning at all. For some time I had been mulling over a decision to walk away from the game altogether. A game that I love and am very passionate about. The reality is that I love that everything golf is and that it has to offer... it's humbling, beautiful, rewarding and maddening all at the same time. So many of the people involved in the game are very good people and part of what I liked so much about my position of Director of Golf Services this year at Port Colborne Country Club was the banter from said people around the shop or clubhouse.
November 14th Session
Seeing that this time of the year is the "off-season" of golf in these parts of the world there truly is no off-season for some. I fall into the latter category especially with my epiphany of not wanting to quit golf. The truth is that what I really crave is to play golf and more to the point play in competition. With the PGA Show coming up in Orlando (MCO) at the end of January I was going to use the time to play in a Mini-Tour event or two. Now as it appears for the moment my schedule in Orlando isn't going to mesh with the Moonlight Tour (which is a segment of the OGA Tour). There is an event that I could play in the day of departure but making my flight out of MCO could prove a little dicey.

Knowing that spring will inevitably arrive at the end of what is supposed to be a long, snowy winter there will be events to play in somewhere. Whether it's on the NGA Great Lakes Tour (where I've previously embarrassed myself with poor scores and an unfinished golf swing) or a Mini-Tour like the Michigan Players Tour I know I have a ton of work to do to prepare. I'm pretty much in a sort of golf "No Man's Land" being a soon-to-be 45 year old trying to compete against 23 year old "kids". Although, I have been a little inspired by the recent successes of Padraig Harrington and Anders Hansen. The tender age of 50 seems light years away. There has been a part of me that has thought about relinquishing my status and returning to Amateur golf. The reasons are many but among them are the lower costs of events and it might be a more suitable place to build a playing resume.
Lower Body work out. Leg Press. Note CHASE 54 #ForThePursuit
No matter where I end up I am re-dedicating myself to a new fitness and practice regimen. I recently joined World Gym in Niagara Falls and I am quickly turning into a "gym rat". Part of the motivation here is a piece I saw in "Golf Tips Magazine" where Canadian Women's Long Drive Champion Lisa Vlooswyk talked about how the lower body, core and flexibility play more of a part in generating more distance. A tool that I need to compete with the afore-mentioned kids. I am alternating leg and arms days with cardio and flexibility being worked on daily. Recently, I stepped on a scale and was mortified to see me weighing in at a fat 230 lbs. Of course, after the fact I saw my swing on video and I was distracted by my gut. A urgent sense of change took over immediately. Practice on the range has been fairly regular as well regardless of our ever-changing weather patterns. It went from 60's to 30's in the blink of an eye... oh and the cold rain too. But, practice must be had and the grind is a part of the game's beauty too.
Image result for lisa vlooswyk
Photo Credit: Calgary Herald
As it turns out we saw another comeback proclaimed this week. One that is barely more popular than mine and one that has been received by the masses. Finally, after months of close calls Tiger Woods is back in a small field event. In tropical New Providence, Bahamas Tiger made his return in the Hero World Challenge. Of course the tournament is ongoing but the golf world was ecstatic to see his return. I liked watching his first swing and it is maybe a little "alien" to see him swinging  TaylorMade Golf M2 woods after years playing products with a "swoosh". He's also gaming a Scotty Cameron putter and playing Bridgestone Golf B330S golf balls. As alien as it is... it is also refreshing and exciting and I like exciting. There were pundits around golf journalism that suggested he would finish last in the field this week. His opening 73 was even more ammunition for pundits like Brandel Chamblee to criticize him. While I'm not a Tiger lover... Chamblee is (as far as I am concerned) a Tiger hater. Oh... jealousy is a sick and ugly monster. Then today happens... Tiger posts a 65. Saturday should be a fun day to watch as Tiger is paired with Rickie Fowler. I don't know what will happen in the end but love him or hate him it's great seeing Tiger back. He sells tickets and increases television ratings which is all very good for golf.
Image result for hero world challenge 2016
Photo Credit: pgatour.com
It's always fun watching a comeback. Whether it's Tiger Woods or some fat kid who's been through Hell and back all the while being trolled the entire time. I cannot wait to peg it up again. God! I love this game.

Until The Next Tee!

No comments:

Post a Comment